Are you an Asian-Canadian writer? Would you like to get your play off the page and on a stage? Submit to our 2021-2022 MSG Lab! Deadline to apply April 1, 2021 11:59pm PST
The MSG Lab is vAct’s annual new play development program, in association with Playwrights Theatre Centre.
Facilitating the creation and development of new theatrical work by emerging and mid-career Asian Canadian artists, this program is our commitment to the next generation of Asian Canadian theatre-makers. The MSG Lab showcases stories from Asian Canadian points of view, and develops new Asian Canadian work to a professional level for future production opportunities. The MSG Lab consists of two parts – MSG Lab 1 and MSG Lab 2 with an additional playwriting workshop, Block V, catered to our selected playwrights’ needs, facilitated by PTC Dramaturgs. Block V sessions will be held in summer 2021.
In MSG Lab 1 each writer will have a personally designed process that will take them from where their script is from the beginning to where it needs to be before sharing with the public. Selected applicants will receive development support, including: a $1000 stipend, dramaturgy, workshops, and a public presentation. In consultation with the dramaturg, each writer will have the opportunity to design a personalized writing process that best serves their creative needs.
After each writer has presented their work at a public presentation, vAct will choose one of the writers for the MSG Lab 2 section of the program. The selected applicant will receive further dramaturgy, an additional $1000 stipend, and development support including another workshop and public presentation in the spring/summer of 2022.
Call for Submissions
Now taking in 2021-2022 MSG 1 – deadline to apply is April 1, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.
MSG Lab 1 Application Deadline: April 1, 2021 at 11:59PM PST
MSG Lab 1 Playwrights Announced: May 1, 2021
Block V workshop: July/Aug 2021 (This will be scheduled according to playwrights’ availabilities)
Script development with dramaturg: July, 2021 – January, 2022
MSG Lab 1 Workshops & Presentations: January 2022
MSG Lab 2 Pick Announced: February 2022
Additional script development with dramaturg: February – May/June 2022
MSG Lab 2 Workshop & Presentation: May/June 2022
- Ensure that you can make the time commitments found on the timeline.
- A cover letter (2 pages maximum) discussing the rationale behind your proposed project, for example: What is your project about? What is your vision for this project? Why this particular project now? Why the MSG Lab? What are your needs and expectations of this process?
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant (1 page maximum);
- A brief writing plan of the entire project, including development history, if applicable (1 page maximum);
- A current draft, a collection of scenes, or a detailed sketch of the proposed project, with numbered pages;
- Assemble cover letter, CV, writing plan in ONE PDF file. SEND YOUR DRAFT IN A SEPARATE PDF. Please omit your name from the title page as it will be submitted anonymously to the jury.
Submit your completed application package here by April 1, 2021 11:59pm PST.
Submissions are read by a panel of curatorial staff led by MSG Curator June Fukumura and guest adjudicators.
Shortlisted candidates may be contacted for a follow-up interview.
Decisions will be made by May 1, 2021.
We are looking for engagements with the broad spectrum of Asian playwrights (including but not limited to Pan-Asia Pacific, South Asia, Western Asia and the Middle East, Pacific Islanders, and Asian Canadians of mixed ethnic/cultural backgrounds).
If you have any questions regarding the application process or your eligibility, please contact MSG Curator, June Fukumura at email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your submissions!