Are you an Asian-Canadian writer? Would you like to get your play off the page and on a stage? Submit to our 2020-2021 MSG Lab!
The MSG Lab is vAct’s annual new play development program, in association with Playwrights Theatre Centre.
Facilitating the creation and development of new theatrical work by emerging and mid-career Asian Canadian artists, this program is our commitment to the next generation of Asian Canadian theatre-makers. The MSG Lab showcases stories from Asian Canadian points of view, and develops new Asian Canadian work to a professional level for future production opportunities. The MSG Lab consists of two parts – MSG Lab 1 and MSG Lab 2 with additional free writing workshops, Block V, catered to our selected playwrights’ needs, facilitated by PTC Dramaturgs. Block V sessions will be held in summer 2020.
In MSG Lab 1 each writer will have a personally designed process that will take them from where their script is from the beginning to where it needs to be before sharing with the public. Selected applicants will receive development support, including: a $500 stipend, dramaturgy, workshops, and a public presentation. In consultation with the dramaturg, each writer will have the opportunity to design a personalized writing process that best serves their creative needs.
After each writer has presented their work at a public presentation vAct will choose one of the writers for the MSG Lab 2 section of the program. The selected applicant will receive further dramaturgy, an additional $500 stipend, and development support including another workshop and public presentation in the Spring of 2021.
Call for Submissions
Now taking in 2020-2021 MSG 1 submissions until April 1st.
MSG Lab 1 Application Deadline: April 1, 2020 at 11:59PM
MSG Lab 1 Playwrights Announced: May 1, 2020
Block V workshop: Summer 2020 (This will be scheduled according to playwrights’ availabilities)
MSG Lab 1 Workshops & Presentations: January 2021 (Meetings with your Dramaturg will be arranged in the fall and winter of 2020 according to your availabilities)
MSG Lab 2 Pick Announced: February 2021
MSG Lab 2 Workshop & Presentation: May 2021
- Ensure that you can make the time commitments found on the timeline.
- A cover letter (2 pages maximum) discussing the rationale behind your proposed project, for example: What is your project about? What is your vision for this project? Why this particular project now? Why the MSG Lab? What are your needs and expectations of this process?
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant;
- A brief writing plan of the entire project, including development history (if applicable);
- A current draft, a collection of scenes, or a detailed sketch of the proposed project, with numbered pages;
- A title page with your name and contact information;
- Assemble cover letter, CV, writing plan in ONE PDF file. SEND YOUR DRAFT IN A SEPARATE PDF. Please omit your name from the title page as it will be submitted anonymously to the jury.
Email your completed application package to email@example.com by April 1, 2020 (we only accept email applications)
Submissions are read by a panel of curatorial staff and guest artists.
Shortlisted candidates may be contacted for a follow-up interview.
Decisions will be made by May 1, 2020.
We are looking for engagements with the broad spectrum of Asian-ness (including but not limited to Pan-Asia Pacific, South Asia, Western Asia and the Middle East, and Pacific Islanders).
If you have any questions regarding the application process or your eligibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your submissions!